Register

Buying/Choosing a Calculator

Discuss anything related to calculators. For specific help on certain games/programs check the Released Projects subforum.
Calculators: None

Buying/Choosing a Calculator

Postby LordSamanon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:35 pm

Hello everyone!

So I am going off to college and I need a calculator. But not just for maths, no, I'd like to do some fun things too. Maybe a bit of C programming, some assembly, really I just want to tinker with stuff.

I'm looking at the fx-9860GII SD, but I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions/comments? For instance, I know that the SDK was for the SH3, but it is sort of working on the SH4 with modifications, right? What's the current status on that? Also considering the CG20, not sure about a full color screen though, seems a bit excessive. I seem to remember an unofficial SDK for the Prizm, is that any good?

A few more questions. I noticed the SD version isn't on the US site, has it been discontinued or is it not allowed in US schools (because cheating or something)? Also, whats the difference between USB Power Graphic and USB Power Graphic 2? At first I thought one was SH3 and one was SH4, but I heard that older GIIs had a SH3.

So many questions, I know! I'll take any suggestions/comments you guys have.

Thanks!

Sam

Oh, one thing. I was going to post this also to casiocalc.org but their forum registration seems broken (broken Captcha). So if you guys can get a hold of them, you might want to mention that.

Calculators: Casio fx-CG20

Re: Buying/Choosing a Calculator

Postby AmazoNKA » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:04 pm

I never had fx-9860 but have multiple fx-cg20 and from what i see prizm sdk is as good for them, so I enjoy programming in C and experimenting with them. In the US you get fx-cg10 instead (and they are reasonably cheap on ebay - that's probably the reason i never got fx-9860...) if you need it allowed in exams. Fx-cg comes with quite large storage and screen resolution compared to other calculators

I don't know how advanced your coding, sdk setup, compiling etc knowledge is, but if you wish you can first try programming some examples for emulators available from casio as free trials too

Calculators: Casio fx-7400GII, Casio fx-7400GII (SH4), Casio fx-9750GII, Casio fx-9750GII (SH4), Casio fx-9860G, Casio fx-9860G SD, Casio fx-9860G Slim, Casio fx-9860GII SD, Casio fx-9860GII SD Power Graphic 2, Casio Classpad 330 plus, Casio fx-CG20, Casio fx-CG50, Casio Classpad fx-CP400

Postby SimonLothar » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:43 am

LordSamanon wrote:I'm looking at the fx-9860GII SD, but I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions/comments? For instance, I know that the SDK was for the SH3, but it is sort of working on the SH4 with modifications, right? What's the current status on that? Also considering the CG20, not sure about a full color screen though, seems a bit excessive. I seem to remember an unofficial SDK for the Prizm, is that any good?

The prizm SDK, which is used at cemetech, seems to be the most comfortable. Alas, as far as I could detect, it does not support the fx9860-types.
I use the old offical SDK, because I have to support 9860-, CG- and CP-types. This way is flexible, but the type-switching is complicated and not comfortable.
Though - before you decide - it has to be mentioned that TeamFX stated "Development of new SuperH dual-core processors has been ceased about five years ago." https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12878&sid=7b1268e1b26482763930e5d304b32ba7
On the other hand - there is such a lot of information material - concerning the CASIO-calculators - around, that if you want to have some fun with C- or assembly-programming, you would be occupied some time (I am since 2008).

LordSamanon wrote:Also, whats the difference between USB Power Graphic and USB Power Graphic 2? At first I thought one was SH3 and one was SH4, but I heard that older GIIs had a SH3.

The G-Types are all based on SH-3-processors.
The first GII-Types are based on SH-3-processors, too.
Then GII-Types with the designation "USB Power Graphic 2" occurred. These are based on SH-4-processors.
Then they seemed to return to the GII-designation "USB Power Graphic", even with SH-4-based GII-Types (I noticed that with one of my 9750GII-calculators).
So, if you buy a new GII, it should be based on a SH-4-processor (except your retailer has an outdated stock).
If you buy a second-hand calculator, you cannot be sure (Though I think - based on serial number or type specification on the back of the calculator - TeamFX could tell you).

Possibly important, if you should decide to buy a second-hand 9860:
OS 2.09 works with SH-4-based calculators, only.
The SH-4-based 9860GII SD-types support 32GB SD-cards. The SH-3-based SD-types are limited to 2GB SD-cards.

BTW: The Prizm is based on a SH-4-processor.
I'll be back!

Calculators: Casio Classpad 300 plus

Postby Eren24 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:30 am

I don't knwo about fx-9860GII SD since I only Casio Classpad 300 plus when I inter college. It was also fun to use and very handy. Until I graduated on college I did not change my calculator.
Hardworking and hunger for success kind of person. Finding work never easy for me, after I graduated I tried some training’s and gather online certificates as many as possible for me to land a better job

Return to General